Wednesday, October 22, 2014

There’s only one place to start. The beginning.

Somewhere back in time a friend’s wife was back in the states visiting family. His small home in the German countryside was the prefect opportunity for some of us that were housed in the barracks to “get away” for the weekend. Our weekend plan was simple, to play the game Dungeons and Dragons. Of course I’d heard of the game before when I was younger, back in my hometown, when the game first came out and no one my age really knew how to play. But the game intrigued me then and now there was the chance to learn it from someone who knew what he was doing. I was hooked, the only problem was that life soon changed, there was no one to play with anymore and the game was put on the shelf. That was 1988.

Fast-forward 25 years.

One day last fall I picked up my nine year-old son from after school care and he told me that he’d been playing Dungeons and Dragons. When we arrived at home I rifled through some old boxes to see if I still had some of the maps and notes that I had made when playing all those years ago, and amazingly enough, I did.

It started slowly but gradually that old fire I had for the game has returned. Inspired by my son’s interest and my own interests in medieval history and weapons, archery, fencing, architecture, map-making, and drawing. I picked up a pencil and started planning adventures for us to share. It’s been a year now and there’s no turning back.

I dedicate this endeavor to my son Rowan and the inspiration he has given me and continues to give me on a daily basis. Without him there would be no new adventures.

In the posts to follow I hope you’ll find some insights, answers, inspiration, and maybe some of your own adventuring spirit as well.

Let’s play.

No comments:

Post a Comment